Saturday, July 11, 2009

Keeping in touch with Grandma

Since I only have one living grandparent, I should keep in touch with her as much as possible. My mom's mom is the sweetest woman in the world. The kind of person who tells me I look beautiful when I straggle into the kitchen, huge bags under my eyes, hair a hot mess, pajamas mismatched. (Or, maybe she's just getting senile?) She is kind, warm, has a wonderfully childlike curiosity and is always up for trying something new, despite only a high school education and having lived in Mississippi the whole of her 84 year life. I sent her a postcard from Thailand. She loves reading things and will be thrilled to get correspondence from abroad. This will be an enjoyable goal :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet Clara! I love it. I just lost my last living grandparent (mom's mom) a couple months ago and I actually am so happy to say that as painful as it was, I have no regrets. Every single time I went home to visit my parents (about twice a month), I stopped by my grandma's and spent time with her).

    I was lucky enough to grow up with my dads parents living with us, and my moms parents, living just down the street - so I was always very close to all of my grandparents. I was especially close to my dads mom, who passed away in 2001, and had lived with us since I was 9 months old.

    Anyway... I think it's super important to make that connection with your grandma and stay in touch as much as you can, and so - I love this goal!

    ReplyDelete