Sunday, November 15, 2009

Californication

Living less than two miles from Ocean beach means that I have been going on night rides and runs there. There are few things more calming to me than being outside at night, under the moonlight. And, as the nights are now crisp, I don't have to worry about sweating up a storm from the lack of shape I'm in! Today, however, after having liberally indulged in libations all weekend long, I was seriously devoid of energy and in desperate need of motivation. I dragged my ass on a meandering bike ride along the beach, passing the throngs of tourists, weaving through the walkers and tots teetering on their bikes, dodging the new families proudly, exhaustedly pushing along their newborns, slowing to admire the wetsuited surfer boys, periodically stopping to inhale the beauty of the California coastline on a sunny, near-winter day.

When I am awestruck by nature, a feeling of complete tranquility washes over me, slowing my heartbeat, deepening my breath. I have to force myself to stay in the moment because my mind instantly wonders what the hell I am doing in my life that is more important than being able to appreciate sights like this every single day. I had to snap myself out of that today, but it made me realize that I probably won't go into corporate law like my dad. And it made me appreciate living in California, having so many climates at your command in no more than day's drive. Travelling far and wide is amazing, but so is wondering about right in your own backyard, California dreaming.

4 comments:

  1. "LIKE."

    So if not corporate law, what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno yet, Martin. Dare I ask you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be nice to live so close to the beach! I definitely did not appreciate it as much as I could have when I lived in the Sunset. Granted I was also working full time, getting an MBA at night AND starting a new relationship with a boy from Oakland....

    Now I live close to the lake and I used to run it every morning and as long as I held my breath to keep the stinky goose poop smell out... it was a pretty amazing view.... maybe I should start doing that again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should indeed, Rupa! For some reason I find it easier to run around a set course--I guess you mentally know what's ahead of you. Brave that duck poop!

    ReplyDelete