Friday, August 28, 2009

Help out at Glide one day

As part of first-year orientation for law school, we had the option of volunteering with different community services around the city. I chose Glide, obviously. We helped prepare 1200 bagged lunches for the residents of the Tenderloin in the bowels of Glide Memorial Church. After donning ever fashionable plastic aprons, gloves and hairnets, my team made smoked turkey sandwiches. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to interact with the TL inhabitants more, save one lady who was having a full-blown conversation with her dog, but it was 9 to 10:30 am on a Saturday and most probably hadn't come to from their stupors yet. When leaving one did ask the girls what we were doing and when someone said "volunteering" he replied, "Well siiiign me up!" I certainly wouldn't mind doing this again.

4 comments: